I had big plans for the month of November – I was going to write that Middle school age book that has been bumping around in my head and have it finished by the end of November and the end of NaNoWriMo…
That was before my baby girl got sick. Initially, the week after we got back from our AMAZING cruise, she had a fever and sore throat. Took her to the doctor and they said it was something “Viral” 2 days later her hands, feet, face, mouth, bottom all broke out into blistery bumps. If you have kids in the same age range as her (4) then by now you know she had HFD, or Hand Foot Mouth virus.
At this time I was still, working some on NaNo, I would find time when she was resting, not in pain and rubbed down with this great essential Oil called Thieves, and I was doing okay.
Then, it all changed. Monday afternoon when I picked her from school she was running a low grade fever 100.1 and starting to cough and get congested. By that night she had a 102.5 fever and when she woke up the next morning we had a bloody nose.
I called the doctor the next morning and we got right in…. Turns out that on top of HFD, sweet baby girl has the FLU – Type A, confirmed by the nose swab..
I know you are all saying “Why didn’t you get the FLU shot?” Simply because being in her first year of Pre-K, which is at a Day care center. She has had some kind of little cold almost every other week and couldn’t get her shot. – Her pediatrician told me that to expect, her first year, to have something 27 of the 52 weeks of the year at a Day Care center, oh yay.. not!
Luckily we caught it quickly enough so that she could take Tamiflu (Although, she would not consider this lucky, she hates the stuff) and Daddy and I are taking Tamiflu proactively. We get to take a pill, while she has to take an extremely yucky liquid.
Tuesday and Tuesday night was not so bad, her fever hovered around 101 with medicine but she was ok. Wednesday and Wednesday night was another story. From about noon Wednesday until Thursday morning it was everything I could do to keep her temperature below 102. We alternated Tylenol and Motrin, every three hours. She had multiple lukewarm baths. Cool rags on her neck and head, popsicles, you name it we tried it. But all she wanted to do was sleep.
And on top of all that about an hour after she took her medicine she threw up everywhere, all over my bed, pillows, floor, you name it and she probably threw up on it. Around 2am on Thursday morning her temp finally settled into a 100.5 range with medicine.
Then yesterday, Thursday, while I a was able to keep the temp in the 100.5 range, I was not able to get my baby girl to eat anything. So she would throw up her medicine as soon as she took it.
Her belly hurts from coughing so much. But she doesn’t like to take the Mucinex mini-melts to help it.
Her doctor called in some medicine to help her nausea and she did finally eat about 10 mini bow tie pastas last night.
I am hoping and praying that today, we turn a big corner and she starts feeling much better!
At this point I am even thinking about pulling her from the Pre-K and letting her just start Kindergarten next year. But she loves it SO much, I just couldn’t do that to her. And hopefully she is building up an amazing immune system.
So, you can see why NaNo is not going to happen for me this year. But it’s ok. Being a mommy to the most beautiful, bright, loving baby girl is, by far, the most important Job I have ever had.
I can’t wait until my baby feels better.. like she did just a few weeks ago on the boat! — And no, that is not lipstick on her it is just a filter adjustment!